Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The photo blog begins


So the photo Blog begins. As a photographer, I want to capture people in their most natural state. I feel successful when I capture that minute expression that says a million words about who that person is or what they may be feeling at that time. I also believe a portrait should be like a classical work of art, something a family can have on their walls for years to come and for generations to enjoy.


Well to get started, I thought I would back-track a bit selecting some of my favorites. The picture below I shot about four years ago. It was one of those photos where you reach a realization of being able to take the photos you want. My son and I were out walking along a built path, and I wanted so much to capture the inquisitive nature he had about him as we walked along and he was taking the outdoors in.


I love the way he sort of is looking into the future with very curious eyes. I like how he is holding the stick because you can’t keep those little fingers idle. It’s just so much him, and his personality.


One of the advances I made with this photo was exploring with black and white conversion using Photoshop calculations. It is a very powerful tool that I had gone completely unaware of for years.


Haha, of course looking back, I have to laugh at the amateur mistakes I made. I won’t go into detail on them, but I am sure any trained eye can pick them all out, compositional and technical. But I have learned so much (and gotten much better equipment) since my genesis photo. Thanks Andrew, for getting me started down this path!

No comments: